I think it is so sad that whatever the choice a parent makes for their child with ADD(usually the dichotomy of drug or not drug) that so many others think it is their responsibility to share their own opinions despite the fact that your child is under the care of professionals with whom you are working to make informed appropriate treatment decisions.

It amazes me how so many can have so little information and such strong opinions that their belief is the only truth about ADD. I think it's one of those challenges that comes with so much baggage.... Beyond the medical debates, there are those who believe ADD is just poor parenting and that there is no disorder--just unruly child and indulgent parent(s). Parents of these children really need support and kindness. An ADD child is one of the most challenging children to parent well and most parents are...just...so...tired! The last thing those who live it need is yet another hurdle to getting help.

Originally Posted by Irena
I'm sure my twin has undiagnosed/unmedicated ADHD and it has almost ruined much of his life... The entire family is in complete denial about it. frown

Irena, you would likely find Dr. Amen's Six Types of ADD book incredibly helpful and may be something you could share with family. It was life changing for us. I sent a copy to my inlaws and some undiagnosed in the family found themselves in this book realizing for the first time why they had challenges they had never understood.

Addiction is rampant with ADD and much destruction stems from that. Many use drugs, alcohol, or even addictive behaviors to self-medicate trying to just feel "normal". Others had used more healthful activities to manage their brains such as running or other intense exercise.

Interestingly enough, my husband was the last to recognize his own ADD (his family and I came to those conclusion much sooner) and it as well as how he had dealt with it are primary factors in our marriage issues.

Another terrific book we have read is ADD in Relationships also by Dr. Amen. My favorite title was Is It You, Is It Me or Adult ADD?...still make me giggle a bit.