Originally Posted by Ania
Originally Posted by Wren
I was at a school/family party on Saturday. Talking with mother (astrophysicist, husband/father is a PhD in physics) about son, who is 2 months older than DD. She said that she has not observed anything that would be considered gifted. She happens to know another astrophysicist that I know, whose husband is also a PhD in Physics whose DS is 2 months younger than DD. I do not consider that boy to exhibit any unusual gifted tendencies.

Admittedly, I did not read the entire thread but this first post troubles me a lot.
Why are you making an assumption that since parents are physicists/astrophysicist/phd - their children are somehow expected to be "gifted" ?????

I have a PhD in astrophysics and have work several years in research, so I know the environment pretty well. And yes, I would expect giftedness to be high in the children of my former colleagues. I have met several people that would certainly score at level 5+, PG or whatever name you want.
Not everybody in the field is that bright, but the average IQ is certainly high.

On the other hand, I never considerd myself 'gifted'.... Intelligent? yes. Gifted? nope!