[quote=Kriston]Well, I guess I think the "build more connections" argument is the one that has been used to sell all that Baby Einstein-style crap that's on the market these days, and I think that is such a load of nonsense.

You don't need to play only classical music for your baby or take him to the art museum from birth in order to nurture brain development. What babies and young kids need is security, affection, and daily interaction with adults who talk to them, sing to them, read to them, point things out to them, etc. Nothing fancy, just the normal sorts of stuff that people have done with kids for...well, for forever. Kids can get that treatment in lots of different ways and from lots of different people. [/quote

Yes, kids learn lots of ways and from lots of people. I just meant that the more things kids are exposed to at an early age (parks, dogs, zoos, walking, the newspaper, trees, creeks, books, plants, pots and pans, museums, whatever) the better their brains develop and the easier it is to build on that early exposure. You're right babies need love and affection and daily interaction with adults, nothing fancy, but there has to be more interaction than just feeding and changing the diaper and letting the kid watch TV or sit in a crib ALL day. Many, certainly not all, but many kids do not get that interaction at day-care.

I never used the Baby Einstien or any of that crap. But, when I did play classical music for myself to enjoy, many times I would talk to son about it or dance with him or march to Sousa or direct the symphony. My husband did the same with Metallica, so he got a wide range of music! Did that help him develop musical talent? Who knows, but it sure didn't hurt any.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I do think that building a foundation through interaction and movement and exposure is important.