OK, the DNA has to be there, but, here's an observation and I would like to hear what others think.

I was at a school/family party on Saturday. Talking with mother (astrophysicist, husband/father is a PhD in physics) about son, who is 2 months older than DD. She said that she has not observed anything that would be considered gifted. She happens to know another astrophysicist that I know, whose husband is also a PhD in Physics whose DS is 2 months younger than DD. I do not consider that boy to exhibit any unusual gifted tendencies.

Now, both these mothers work long hours and the children have been in daycare since 3 months. Looking at similar highly intelligent couples, where the women started working at 3 months and the children went to daycare or full time nannies and I don't see any gifted tendencies.

There is that childcare bible, "The Early Years" I think, some Harvard researcher, who says that up until age 3 there should be some biological caregiver who has a real vested interest in development because the enthusiasm for milestone achievement won't be there otherwise. (I paraphrase, but that is the gist).

So I am wondering, not that these children won't grow up and be in university at 12, but clearly they do not show the signs that people on this board talk about. Although, I don't think of myself as hot housing my baby and toddler, I think that as the primary caregiver and A-Type helicopter parent, I had to contribute to her development. She obviously has to have good DNA to have the reasoning power, or am I just that good? (just joking) Seriously, how much do you think the primary care and brain development is linked in those early years?

Would really like to hear.

Ren