Frequent poster, but using a new name for anonymity purposes. The OCR is currently investigating my daughter's district for issues related to FAPE and discrimination. This was a last ditch effort, and I would only recommend it as a last resort. In our area, Legal Aid wouldn't touch our case because there are no lawyers on staff with SpEd experience; and the state office for disability rights is too busy handling abuse cases. My warning that I would bring in the OCR was effective to a certain extent, but obviously didn't resolve the issue.

An investigation can take from six months to a year. It's been about three months, and recently things have gotten a bit better, imo because they know their feet are in the flames. All that said, our relationship with the school has become extremely adversarial. I find myself questioning their every move/comment, and I hate it. Because of my daughter's age and the nature of the offenses, she is very aware of what's going on, and in the thick of things it added to her anxiety. She is going to a different school in the district next year, but my understanding is that something like this will now follow us throughout her school career in our district, so while I have high hopes for a fresh start, I'm not counting on it. Worst of all, if the OCR finds in the district's favor, we're going to be worse off than where we are currently because they will feel free to rescind the concessions they have already made.

I'm not advising you to not file with the OCR if you feel it's what you need to do, but seriously exhaust your other avenues, and make sure you consider the ramifications. I wish it hadn't become necessary for us. Good luck, and feel free to pm me if you have questions about the process or anything.