Originally Posted by marytheres
Originally Posted by polarbear
The other thing I'm curious about - I think your ds has been going to vision therapy already, right? I'm just curious if the intent of the form they gave you was to say you'd agree to no further *vision* services. I still wouldn't sign the form, but I'm guessing that might have been the intent.
Yes, DS has been going to private VT. I am not sure what their intent was but I have read that there are issues with schools right now misusing these type of agreements to take away parents rights: http://www.specialeducationadvisor.com/beware-districts-forcing-settlement-agreements/. I think it's handy way for school districts generally to conveniently deprive (difficult) people of their rights and I think it's been working for them for awhile. Imagine if I signed that agreement. I'd be completely shut down - none of the iep violations would matter... they could do what they want to DS short of criminal stuff and I'd have no way to stop them. How convenient - all for a lousy 20 sessions of vision therapy. I definitely see some nefarious intent there - they are certainly not intending to help any one but themselves with that.

I don't know that you are at a point you'd want to go there yet.. but another resource you could turn to is the Office of Civil Rights.... I need to run and don't have time to explain, but I've heard of other families turning to them when their school districts attempted tactics like this. Not turning to them as in full-on legal stage, but calling them up and asking for advice or just bringing the violation to the attention of the office.

more later,

polarbear