My career (IT) is one of those in which it is necessary to practice pragmatic language, and I'm one of the ones frequently called upon to translate complicated technical information into a jargon-free format that's easily digestible by the average user. It's something I'm fairly good at.

What I'm referring to is separate from this. It's not the habit of talking over others' heads, it's the habit of conversing in modes and usages that are not commonly heard in everyday conversation. For most people, spoken language is much, much simpler than the kind of written language we encounter on a daily basis. It's language we all understand, and we also commonly hear, just not face to face. Well, for me, there's very little difference in how I write and how I speak.

Ding-ding-ding! YES.

I've often had the experience of being designated a "spokesperson" for various technical/elite/professional groups because of this ability to translate into everyday language.

I find that I have also (often) been identified as having an unmistakable "voice" as a writer-- which is completely reflective of the way in which I speak.

The two things aren't separated at all in my head, I guess-- I speak and writer as part of the same process. Most people don't, evidently. I can't understand how it isn't the same process. But apparently it isn't.

Anyway. Just noting that this may be another area of non-NT for some gifties, and that it may be one of those quirky areas of innate difference that leads to a certain automaticity/fluidity which is awkward and learned for pretty much everyone else on earth. It's definitely not native for either my DD or my DH, though my DD has the fluid determination of "what level do I aim this at" with her SPOKEN communication, and DH does not. Neither of them seems to view "communication" as a general activity which includes multiple modalities, though.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.