Originally Posted by DeeDee
Who diagnosed the "visual-spatial learning style"? I don't really believe in learning styles of this kind-- they have been debunked by scientists-- and I find that often when people say it's an extreme VS learning style it is instead an ASD or other neurological difference.

Visual-Spatial learning style in regards to the work that Linda Silverman has done whilst working with thousands of gifted and highly gifted over the past thirty some years has not been debunked. What has been found is that no studies of neuro-typical children being given instruction oriented towards visual or auditory "styles" which have been properly designed have shown positive learning effects.

I think Dr. Silverman's categorization is fixated on an unfortunate term (Visual-Spatial) that has lumped her work in with the mainstream attempts to sell expensive alternate learning materials into classrooms. What instead she has identified is an underlying brain organization that has been validated through FMRI showing a tendency of gifted kids to cluster towards one of two ends of a spectrum in terms of size and spacing of minicolumns.

If you follow the neuroscience research that the Eides have identified, this range tends to have ASD on end and Dyslexia on the other end. On the ASD side is a tendency towards focus, serial reasoning, literal thinking which can be mischaracterized as an "auditory learning style" on the Dyslexia side is a tendency towards abstract, wide range system thinking mischaracterized as the "visual-spatial style."