I have a 13-year-old highly gifted and very verbal DS that seems to rub some adults the wrong way. This has been so since he was at least 2 years old. Like Dennis the Menace with a high IQ! Yes, he does tell most people what he is thinking, but always in a respectful way. And yes, he does talk A LOT to the point where I know adults wished he would stop talking. He loves to talk about new science breakthroughs and computers and powerful cars. We've had friends tell us that when they have conversations with our DS, they forget he is a kid and sometimes bring up adult topics while talking to him.

He always seems to have a couple of teachers each year that our DS suspects do not like him. Just tonight he told me he was talking to himself while writing an essay in English and his teacher walked by and told him, "you can stop writing your essay now because you have a zero on it already for talking." Later in class, my DS raised his hand to answer a question and his teacher told him, "put your hand down, Mr. Zero!"

He has experienced other adults and teachers who I know believe he is cocky and a know-it-all. It seems these adults are insulted because my DS talks to them as an equal, and they feel he is only a child and he should be treating them as his elder. However, when it comes to their judgement of him or their behavior towards him, they hold him accountable as if he were an adult.

Any ideas?