@Pauli

The info I'm hearing about the GT program is mixed. It was only 1 parent (who has a kid in a traditional classroom) that said the GT class was no different. So I take it with a grain of salt. Other parents who have kids in it have had nice things to say about it. I do have a friend whose dd is starting it this year and the mom is very vocal about her opinions. So if there is something she doesn't like about it I'll be sure to hear it. So far she has positive feedback.

The other bit of info I keep hearing from teachers and the principal is that the class is an 'intervention' of sorts. When I asked dd's kindergarten teacher last spring if we should apply for dd and she said that the GT class is for students who need a lot of emotional support. She made it sound as if it's a class for kids who have emotional and social problems....?!?!? The district website says nothing of the sort. But then the principal also called it an intervention. And then I heard from a friend (who doesn't know that I had dd tested and will be applying) who tried to get her dd in but she didn't qualify, who tells me that unless your child is a freak they don't get in. *sigh*. I truly think that none of them are right if I go by the description on the districts website. Not to mention I subbed for a G&T class (at a different school) last year and the kids were delightful... granted some of them were a bit more emotional when they got frustrated but heck, I can relate with dd being like that.

"You also said that you thought your DD would do better with 2nd grade math because she'd do better at a faster pace. Hate to be such a pessimist, but going up a grade in a nonaccelerated program, you may find that things are better at first, but really the pace issue will remain. But sometimes it works out, especially I'd you can get your kiddo grouped with other accelerated learners in the next grade up."

- You're right. I hadn't even considered this and perhaps this is why the G&T class is really the only option b/c she will be with kids that learn at the same pace as her.