Originally Posted by polarbear
Originally Posted by mountainmom2011
Oh, and wanted to add that I think this principal thinks that I'm just destined to be an unsatisfied parent. Between one dd needing more help which I can't get her... and the other dd who needs more advancement; which sounds like they either a.) don't believe me or b.) are unwilling to provide, I'm believing more and more each day that our school (a magnet) doesn't have their students' best interests at heart and teaches to the middle.

I think the reality is - you aren't satisfied, right? It's ok to let the school know it smile I think to put it in perspective re administrators sometimes it helps to realize you're not the only unsatisfied customer they have. It's not terribly unusual to find that schools tend to teach "to the middle" simply because that's where the great majority of their customers are, so that's where they keep the highest percentage of people possible satisfied - it doesn't necessarily mean they don't care, but it probably means they don't have the energy or staff or resources to do everything for everyone. (And it could mean they don't care too - but I think most of the time most teachers/principals/etc really do care... just with a different perspective than we have because they are overseeing a large number of kids and we're trying to optimize school for only our kids.

I think the key thing you need to do is to decide what you want for your dd this year, advocate for it if you need to, then get through to the other side (i.e., find out once and for all - for this year - will you get what she needs from this school?). We had our kids in a magnet school and ultimately switched schools because we were very caught up in a teach-to-the-middle situation even though in theory the school was supposed to be supportive of kids working ahead as well as students who were struggling (which my ds fit into both categories!)... anyway, jmo but I think the culture of a school depends a lot on the leadership, and if you've got a principal who doesn't support working outside of the box and isn't gung-ho about either gifted or special needs kids, you may find the school is never going to be a very good fit.

You're right. Maybe next year things will improve in the G&T class and it won't matter. I have heard some good things about it from parents who have kids in it. But I have also heard it is no different than the regular classes. Only time will tell...

If she's a high achiever in math in first grade, she'll look like a high achiever on the WJ-III in math (unless of course Everday Math has totally warped her brain... sorry... I just had to say that lol!)....

Oh great, I already hate Everyday Math with a passion, it is only making things worse for older dd and I fear it's going to cause major problems for her as she gets further along in school. It's no surprise that nearly all the other schools in the district use a different program or are in the process of dropping EM. Our principal seems to think it's great and that their state test scores improved on it. DD#2 is just now starting EM in 1st grade this year so she has yet to be exposed to it and I was hoping it wouldn't cause issues with her as it does for dd (due to her dyslexia). Please tell me it hasn't been too bad for you with your gifted children ***fingers crossed***. Although, in the G&T class they use EM and Sunshine Math.

I also wouldn't panic if you can't get her accelerated right now. There are things you *can* do - for instance, you can let her teacher know there are specific times that she finds class slow or boring, and you can either ask the teacher to give her more challenging worksheets or problems or whatever during that time. If the teacher doesn't know what to give her or balks at the idea of having to take time to think something up, you can make suggestions or provide the work. If the teacher says she has x number of students just like dd who could benefit from learning math faster but no time to work with them, if you have time you could offer to volunteer to come in and lead a small group ahead in math once a week during math time. You can also look at it as, this is school - let school be what it is for now, and continue to encourage and support her eager mind outside of school. When/if she has work or a project sent home, have her dig deeper or give a little extra in terms of work so the teacher can see where she's really at.

Lots of good advice, thank you! I am signed up for volunteering and went in for the first time this past Wednesday to help with math. I'll be coming in every Wednesday. It was painful though to see dd spacing out at circle time while the teacher taught them how to use a number line. At the conference we had with the teacher she did mention how last year she had a parent take the advanced students to the hall to work with them (in addition to using Sunshine Math). So I'm guessing/hoping it will get better and that the beginning of the year is just super slow. I really do like her teacher, she is very extroverted, unlike dd and myself, so I think she will be good for both of us.

I think I will hold off a bit before contacting the district gifted coordinator. Maybe things will move along in a month or so, and if not I guess I will continue working with the teacher and see where that gets me. Regardless, we will stick around for at least next year to try out the G&T program and see if that works for us. I do know that in other schools they do accelerate students into higher grades for things like math (I substitute) so I know it is possible outside of our magnet school. There are some positives to our school that I find important, it's an expeditionary outbound school and older dd actually likes school since switching to it.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 08/18/12 04:03 PM.