If you are committed to staying at the school, there's probably not a big reason to get the WJ testing done, unless it's a test the school staff is familiar with. In my son's case the school wanted to do achievement testing after seeing his SB results, and it turned out the WJ was one the school used. I would double-check with the GT program about what achievement tests they use. If you really want this info, then you may as well use a test that will mean something to the school.

Re: your question about how well your DD might do on the WJ, I agree that it shouldn't matter if she hasn't had any prep. If she's doing well in her grade, that will be reflected. It's not the most comprehensive test, as others have mentioned, asking a few questions per grade level, IIRC.

I also do think there's value in finding out more about the GT program if you've heard it's no different from the regular classroom. Not every GT program works for every kid. If there are options nearby, or in nearby districts if open enrollment is an option, you will want to do your research before the open enrollment period ends (some districts around close their open enrollment in February). I know this isn't an ideal situation, but I know several parents who send their kids to different schools in different districts to get a better fit for each. Not always a choice, but I'm just throwing that out there.

ETA: please note I'm just stating the above based on personal experience, and I know that everyone makes decisions based on what works for your family. I throw my experiences out there mostly because when we went out of district to an accelerated program, we found a much better fit and I havent had school stress since then, beyond wondering what we'll do in 2 years when this program ends. I spent soooo much time working to get a better fit in our local school, and it just never worked out for us.

You also said that you thought your DD would do better with 2nd grade math because she'd do better at a faster pace. Hate to be such a pessimist, but going up a grade in a nonaccelerated program, you may find that things are better at first, but really the pace issue will remain. But sometimes it works out, especially I'd you can get your kiddo grouped with other accelerated learners in the next grade up.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 08/19/12 11:28 AM.