Originally Posted by mountainmom2011
My only concern is that dd will not do more than what is asked, I don't think she wants to stand out from her peer group in the classroom. She will just blend in and fly under the radar.

My DD is the exact same way. It's beyond frustrating and I have no idea what to do about it. I think it's a combo of wanting to fit in and being afraid that if she attempts more challenging work that she might fail. So no suggestions here, just sympathy. Oh, and if she's a kid who's content to fly under the radar you should probably bring up the results to the school sooner rather than later because chances are the teacher will end up underestimating her ability. Honestly, whatever the teacher has planned for differentiation it is likely it won't be sufficient for your DD. The fact that you are seeing an increase in tantrums and sleep issues tells me she is probably frustrated in school. Is she the sort of kid who will tell you what's on her mind? If so, I would ask her how she feels about school and see what she says. It sounds like some changes need to be made at school asap so things don't deteriorate further. Would the school consider a grade skip?