So I'm contemplating getting the WJ achievement testing done. I just have some questions about it versus IQ scores.

As I have mentioned before, I have done very little with dd in terms of teaching. She has decided here and there to do a workbook page but never more than 1-2 times a month. If she chooses to do something it is usually writing stories/making books (she just made a nature book), arts and crafts, science experiments she comes up on her own, word searches, coloring, or mazes.

I have had a few talks with her and asked her what she thinks of her class/classmates, and she says she feels uncomfortable b/c the instruction is too slow (and the classmates don't want to play what she wants to play). I think she would benefit from a much faster pace of learning and could probably hold her own if she were to go to 2nd grade for math.

She seems to get math though with little to no instruction. Since school has restarted I have been helping older dd (in 3rd grade) with her math, which she is struggling with, and younger dd is piping up with the answers.

This all said, I don't know how she would score on the WJ-III. It is based on things that are learned academically and if she isn't being/hasn't been instructed at an advanced level I doubt her results would be in the same percentiles as her WISC. And I know in the past comparing ability (IQ) to achievement has been a basis for determining if a learning disability is present. I seriously doubt she has a learning disability so would she be inaccurately diagnosed to have one b/c of a discrepancy?

Do highly gifted kids still score high on the WJ despite no acceleration unless there is a learning disability?

(Sorry for the scattered and jumbled post... can't seem to organize my thoughts today... need more coffee. I hope my question makes sense.)

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 08/18/12 01:18 PM.