Originally Posted by Ametrine
I'm of the opinion that a non-gifted child can have the same instruction as a gifted child and the non-gifted child will learn, yet not to the extent and breadth that the gifted child will take that instruction.

That was said perfectly.

Texican,
We aren't disagreeing! I don't think it's hothousing to teach a child that is demanding to be taught no matter how young they are. I'm all for child-led activities! If a 3-year old has the mind of a 7-year old, why shouldn't he be exposed to similar things? How smart of the child to get the parents to teach him!

Also, I don't mean to imply that a gifted child with spontaneous learning is better than a child that is helped along the way. I don't buy into the belief that children exist in a hierarchy (gifted or not, spontaneous or not).

It's only that I've noticed some comments on this forum that suggest spontaneous learning doesn't happen--because it does. Even neglected children learn to walk. I find that when others discount my reality, it makes me wonder at their motives. I've made the assumption that it must be based on a belief system like I've described. Obviously, I could be wrong, and it may due to an inability to accept experiences outside of their own.

Obviously, that's my issue, but I hate to be misunderstood. smile