Mmm... I guess we need to ask (and it would be good to hear from the person who PMed) whom it might offend, and why. It's not likely to offend us the regulars here, who have dancers, with or without tap shoes ;-) I could imagine that it might, however, offend someone who happened on the post, e.g., by it turning up in a google search. Posts here *do* turn up on google searches, including those that have nothing to do with giftedness, so this is not far-fetched. (We - not you specifically, but this forum - are the second hit for ALEKS problem-solving, which is the first example that came to hand.)

Suppose you are a parent of an ND child who is e.g. considering whether to use ALEKS to help that child learn to do better at problem-solving. (The conclusion would be don't, of course!) Suppose you google this and land here, and suppose you light on that signature. Aren't you going to feel as though someone might be telling you *you* were putting tap shoes on an elephant, by taking a hand in the education of your child? Of course you aren't, and that isn't the intention of the signature - but still.

It's sort of the wrong way round, really; the quote is about the truth of the reaction
tap shoes + elephant -> dancer
but you're more interested in asserting that there are ways to have a dancer other than having put tap shoes on an elephant (regardless or whether or not it is even possible to make a dancer by putting tap shoes on an elephant, which question is not really all that relevant, right?) I don't know how to turn this into a pithy sig, though... [ETA: maybe I do!]

Last edited by ColinsMum; 08/22/11 12:09 PM.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail