Originally Posted by La Texican
�Other parents don't want to be reminded that their hothoused (gifted or not) children are somehow "less" than those children that teach themselves.

I don't think that's true. �

�or we will minimize the non-hothoused kids (those parents are lying).�

I don't think that's true.

I think that is a commonly expressed �set of feelings that you're stating. �I feel like gifted kids can put 2&2 together but they were exposed to it. �They just take it further than other kids. � �They got the original information somewhere and ran with it to reach further conclusions. �JMO.
I'm not offended but I disagree with the presumptions frequently stated that everybody prefers gifted osmosis to guided instruction because I, at least, am not convinced.

I'm of the opinion that a non-gifted child can have the same instruction as a gifted child and the non-gifted child will learn, yet not to the extent and breadth that the gifted child will take that instruction.

It's just not in the non-gifted child's makeup.

That is why hothousing comments made to parents of gifted children is so offensive, imo. It literally means forcing unnatural development on children and the assumption that any child who is not of typical I.Q. or talent must have therefore been hothoused.