My homeschooled son went with his dad and me to a reunion of a small group of Vietnam vets who had worked as linguists or had done jobs like crypto analysis or signals intelligence. We saw pictures of some of these men when they were young and some of them looked like geeky nonconformists. My husband said they got away with some things that other soldiers couldn't so they had some interesting stories to tell.

Several of the wives told me they thought homeschooling was a good thing and one of them told me she wished she could have homeschooled her children. When we went on a trolley tour and stopped at a local museum, some of them took time to point out interesting things to him and he felt comfortable enough with them that he left me to talk to some other members of the group. I guess he found them more interesting because he left me and his dad behind. They want us to bring him with us when they have their next reunion. One of guys wants my son to do a report over what he learned on this trip and send him a copy of it.