My husband sometimes comes home with questions for my son that his public schooled and college educated employees didn't know the answers to and somehow our son usually knows the answers. Today he asked our son some math questions even though I told him that we didn't focus on math this year and he might not know them. It was just pre-algebra, simple equations that my husband used as a fun way to give the employees a code they needed to open the door or something. Only a few of the employees got the right answers and those that did thought it was fun, but most of the employees couldn't remember how to do them. My son got the right answers without any problem even though math is not his favorite subject and he spends very little time on math.

So this is what I think about when people ask me why I homeschool but I would never say it. I usually just tell them that he started out in public school and we were told by teachers and the principal that we needed to homeschool.

But it was a little uncomfortable trying to explain to the parent of one of my son's gifted older friends why we homeschool. This parent thinks the school is a good one and he said they never had any problems. The one hour a week pull out was fine for his son. Nobody told them they needed to homeschool.

One of my sisters-in-law, a college professor, never said anything about our homeschooling but I feel uncomfortable just imagining what she is thinking. I do not have the education she has, I can't answer those "why" questions in math (but maybe that is a good thing--he learned to find answers on his own) and I don't sound as smart as my 11 year old son when I speak and I am supposed to be teaching him.

I wish we could do part time public school so my son could be around other kids but we don't have that option here. I would love for him to be able to do band and drama.