The angriest response I got was from a former public school teacher. They are often either the least understanding OR the most supportive people I meet, actually. I think that makes some sense, since teachers have the most invested in public education. It makes sense to me that they have the strongest reactions to homeschooling.

In the worst conversation I ever had about homeschooling, an acquaintance and I talked when our family's decision to homeschool was *very* new, when I still felt raw from the interaction with the school and was still terrified that I was making a huge mistake. I feel sure that the conversation would go very differently if I spoke with someone like that now because I am confident that we made a good choice and I would no longer be defensive. Realizing that I was part of the problem in that one particular conversation was important for me. (Though that may be totally irrelevant to your situation, of course, if you're already confident.)

I think her side of the conflict was that she a) felt that her profession was being insulted because she felt I was saying that teachers aren't necessary (though that was not at all what I was saying! I am a former teacher from a long line of teachers! I have great respect for the profession!), and b) she didn't understand GTness AT ALL, and so she didn't understand why he couldn't just fit in. She actually said to me "I don't understand why he can't just be bored until the GT pull-outs begin in 3rd grade." That one left me slack-jawed. frown

Not to mention the fact that she assumed the one-hour-per-week pull-out--in math only--would end his boredom...I am certain it would not have! cry

So my best guess is that she took my pulling my child out of public school as a personal affront. She attacked me when I was weakest. Honestly, I have not forgiven her. I understand why she did what she did, but I think it was cruel of her.

The more common negative response that I see is a sort of surprise followed by coldness. What began as a warm, friendly talk between moms goes suddenly chilly when they ask me where DS7 goes to school. frown Usually if I ignore the chill and explain that DS is "pretty bright" (said in a whispered tone), was miserable in school and was acting out, but that he's much happier now, the chill passes. But not always.

So I'm not sure if bad reactions occur because they assume that we're "religious nuts" (whatever that means to them!) or anti-science or oversheltering or child abusers or if it's something else. I never ask. But that or the teacher defense are my best guesses.

Happily, people who get to know us seem to mostly like us. Certainly DS7 is a sweet, kind, polite, fun child with a happy outlook and a wide variety of interests, and kids nearly always like him. That makes it harder for people to reject us out of hand, I think. Thank goodness!

Kriston