Originally Posted by oneisenough
I think I know what to do...I need to help dd make a friend or two and I need to make a friend or two. Does that about sum it up? Oh and the idea of a "helper" is a great one,

Now that is wonderful small and reasonable goal. I'll bet that a physically awkward High School Giftie (boy or girl) might be willing to trade so 'Mother's Helper Time' for some 'phsical fitness' mentoring. I sure would have!

You may want some book reccomendations:
My favorite is http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Resources_id_12145.aspx

Even though the book is aimed at 5 - 12 year olds, read it now. With a little imagination I was able to apply a few tidbits to my own social interactions! Also, you can start using the language to point out little bits in action when watching TV and DVD's now, so that once your DD is 5, the information will be 'part of her world.'

I also found this to be a wonderful reference as to what a normal developmental path of friendship might be like, and it explained that a lot of the kids I was judgemental of and frustrated with from age 5-12 were actually normal, and that I did have different needs that the other kids. This helped me tremendously in not expecting my son's 7 year old friends to be 'sharing their deepest, most personal secrets.' Reasonable References, it's what we most lack, and need - here's one of them.

Love and More Love,
Grinity