Originally Posted by BWBShari
I can't believe that people are so threatened by these kids! They should be celebrated! Instead the general population worships people who can throw a ball or hit a home run. It's no wonder the U.S. is losing out to other countries.

By putting your head in the sand aren't you somehow telling your DS or DD that there is something wrong with them?

Shari, I totally agree with you.

I think people feel more comparison when it comes to school because we all go to school. With athletic/movie/rock stars, they are people who do fantastic/fantasy things, and comparing a normally developing kid to them is perhaps less threatening. KWIM?

When I was pg with DD we were told she had a strong chance of being a Downs child - like 1 in 28. We didn't care. We were going to brag about how smart and beautiful she was even if she were an alligator. I always tell other parents how gorgeous and smart and talented their children are. I believe it, too.

My BIL is a surgeon in an agricultural town. He said he's embarrassed to tell other parents what he does because many of them didn't go to college. His father (my FIL) was also a doctor but he told everyone he knew. He loved meeting people and learning their stories. Not only were people not threatened by his smarts, they adored him for being so accessible. He never apologized for being smart and I think people liked having a doctor be their friend.

I don't know what it's like to have a child skip many grades, but no parent or child should be apologetic for who they are, whether it's an achievement or a setback. It's too bad so many people are rude and small minded.