Originally Posted by blackcat
Does she think that you deny there are problem behaviors? So she feels the need to keep bringing it up over and over so that you finally get it?

I know of another parent in our school who kept getting negative behavior reports basically every day from the teacher at pickup. The teacher told her that he's the most difficult student she's ever had. I think the underlying goal was to make the parents break down and medicate him, which the parents finally did after the child had a violent episode and hurt a teacher. Ironicallly the meds did end up helping a lot, but it was inappropriate for the school to treat the situation that way. If a child has a disability it is the schools job to deal with it by getting the child a para if needed, coming up with a positive behavior plan, etc. But they didn't offer any of these special supports, and were't even following the IEP. So the teacher resorted to continually telling the parents how bad his behavior is, trying to get them to break down and medicate.

My kid is not nearly as bad as the picture that is being painted by my complaining about this... Seriously. He has never been violent or anything. He is never sent to the principal's. I do not get bad reports. He is not having any tantrums or meltdowns or anything like that. And the school psych has said more than once that she has observed and he has been so good. Even his special area teachers say he is good (not perfect, he likes to take the steps two by two, he laughs when his buddy slides down the railing - typical boys stuff). My kid is actually a good kid. If you recall, for weeks he had been observed in class (that was in regard to attention/on-task) and he had no idea he was being observed and these people, with the exception of the school psych, were completely unknown to him, and him to them. All of his in-class observations (which were really like a blow by blow of every little thing he did indicate that he is good and even mostly on task (25-30% off task depending.) Thankfully and those were very, very helpful and were more favorable that teacher had expected I think. The observations did reveal he has trouble with the multistep sequencing (very typical of dyspraxia, as you know). The motor planning is so deficient is affects his executive functioning is affected (when your motor planning requires so much attention and is not automatic your attention is used up on that and you ability to accomplish tasks obviously goes down significantly). The muti-step transitions (e.g., pack up your stuff, go to cubby, put stuff away, get stuff for next class, etc) he tends to be slow and forget a step etc., which can be 'disruptive.' He is always a beat or a step behind. But it is because he is struggling with motor planning and multitasking - he's a step behind everyone or has to go back for something he forgot, etc. When they start yelling at him and putting him down for it, he may then seek to defend himself by explaining that he struggling (he has said I can't listen right to you while I am trying to pack my bag you need to give me a minute). And that is often seen as being argumentative. He is argumentative - but not in a dysfunctional excessive way. He is very fidgety. He sits in weird ways on his chair and he drops things a lot (pencils, books, supplies) - it is annoying (he's always dropping pencils at home and forks etc.) - his hands are weak - it is not his fault but it is annoying and, then, he is looking for what he dropped, etc. I don't deny that his motor planning problems and fine motor deficits are annoying but they are not purposeful "behaviors" or even, imo, adhd behaviors. He also tends to pace about when he is doing creative writing. Oh and yeah his creative shocks are kind-of weird. I suppose they could be adhd.

During our first P/T conf, teacher basically ambushed me with this big thing on how DS pays no attention whatsoever, at all, ever. Okay, I say, I do not argue. I responded by immediately contacting the renowned ADHD center at our super-great children's hospital for an eval. As part of that teacher had to fill out a BASC2, as you remember. As you may also remember, the BASC was the first time I was hit with her really extremely negative reports of behavior. I mean she made him sound like he was psychotic and totally out of control. I took the completed teacher's form to an iep meeting and went through it with the teacher while recording the meeting (I record all iep meetings now)). I had her explain each extreme response. Her responses were based on so many negative assumptions - not actual observations and she did not answer many of the questions properly or accurately (even "misinterpreting" what some of the questions were actually asking) and I recorded it all. I had to do that because most places will give the teacher's form way more weight than the parents. When the two forms conflict, they consider the parents unreliable (the basc manuals and their training actually instruct this). I needed concrete evidence the teacher's form was unreliable. I submitted all of the forms with the recording. I also submitted all of the in-class observations. I talked a long time with the head of the ADHD clinic about it - lovely woman who actually gave me a consultation just to chat about this without even charging me or my insurance. Considering the EDS and co-morbidity of DCD/dyspraxia with that and the obvious unreliability of the teacher's BASC and what the several in-class observations the school did, it was decided that the ADHD clinic was probably not the best route at this time. To first get him looked at by neurology or neuropsychology for dyspraxia and dysgraphia. And that's where we are now - we have an appointment for that eval with neurology at the end of this month. The school knows that we are getting private evals in response. She knows that in response to her concerns, I contacted ADHD clinic. It's not that I just dismissed her.

So I am not sure why she did what she did on the AT eval form re "behaviors." But I am getting the distinct feeling she wants on him on something - drugs? some sort of behavior modification? or something? I do not know.

Last edited by Irena; 05/09/14 09:25 AM.