Originally Posted by blackcat
I don't know. What's weird is that people with ADHD supposedly have normal intelligence, yet things like working memory and processing speed are measured as part of IQ tests. If ADHD people tend to be impaired with those things, but they are part of intelligence, then by logic you have to say that ADHD people aren't as intelligent overall. So if my DD has processing speed issues does that or does that not mean her overall intelligence is impaired? If there are discrepanices why calculate a GAI in order to get a true idea of a person's ability? Why leave those scores in for some people but not others? Why not just leave them OFF for everyone?

I see IQ tests as measuring a spectrum of separate abilities. The information contained in that type of testing has been extremely helpful in understanding my children's learning strengths and challenges. My 2e kiddos both have an area they score extremely low in relative to their other scores, but I don't see it as having their overall intelligence impaired... I see it more as a specific challenge. I don't particularly enjoy it when my ds' teachers like to say "we all have something" but really... we all do have *something* that is a challenge. Some challenges are larger than others... what the IQ test does is quantify the specifics of it. A bit like measuring eyesight in each eye. I don't go around thinking of my vision as impaired, but I do wear contacts to get it back to 20/20. And yep, that's a simplification and it didn't feel all that simple when my kids were in early elementary - learning challenges take work... but the thing is as my ds in particular has gone through middle school and he's getting older, he's grown into being very comfortable with who he is. Yes, he has a challenge but at the same time, he's come through those early years where we have to focus so much on that challenge to being at a place where he knows how to cope with the challenge, he continues to work hard at getting more proficient in the skills he's weak at, and now his strengths have the chance to take front and center stage and be recognized.. and it really does get more to the point of being similar to putting on your contacts in the morning.

Also re why is processing speed even included in the WISC (or other ability tests) - one of my kids has an exceptionally high processing speed and working memory. It really does make a difference in her ability to learn! Not in the same way that an exceptionally out-of-the-box thinking ability makes a difference, but in her ability to take in knowledge quickly, sort through data quickly, express her thoughts clearly, get work done so she can move on to other work.

polarbear