Originally Posted by blackcat
I don't know. What's weird is that people with ADHD supposedly have normal intelligence, yet things like working memory and processing speed are measured as part of IQ tests. If ADHD people tend to be impaired with those things, but they are part of intelligence, then by logic you have to say that ADHD people aren't as intelligent overall. So if my DD has processing speed issues does that or does that not mean her overall intelligence is impaired? If there are discrepanices why calculate a GAI in order to get a true idea of a person's ability? Why leave those scores in for some people but not others? Why not just leave them OFF for everyone?

One of the primary uses of "IQ" tests is to measure deficiencies, not areas of excellence. I would venture a guess that they are used far, far more often (probably by an order of magnitude) to evaluate the mentally disabled, the neurologically impaired or people with brain injuries than they are to determine 'giftedness'. They are imprecise tools that weren't really created simply to evaluate intelligence to being with. One of the first uses of IQ testing was to determine the mentally impaired vs the mentally ill. They are great at helping people determine many things about individuals, and populations at large.. the least of these being a 'full score iq'.

~amy