Originally Posted by Polly
But how about with the daily spelling words (normally written) would doing them verbally instead of writing them be a modification of the curriculum or would it be a simple accommodation under a 504.

Polly, I don't have any legal precendent for you, but my understanding of the term "modification" is it includes modifying the actual curriculum, and this isn't what you are doing here. Your ds is still going to be studying the same list of spelling words, you are requesting that he be given an accommodation to allow him to show his knowledge. Typically what we've had in accommodations for our dysgraphic ds were terms such as "will be allowed to use a word processor for any writing longer than 1-2 sentences or short phrases". We haven't addressed spelling lists specifically, but for this I'd request something like "oral response for spelling tests" or "allow oral retell for spelling practice in the classroom" etc.

And then has anyone any experience with anything akin to frustration or invisible pain as something that is accommodated by 504? For example limiting the total amount of reading practice in the day because of headache due to eyestrain in a child with visual difficulty? Or limiting the total amount of writing per day due to muscle tiredness? I'm looking just at 504s right now.

Our ds has wrist pain associated with writing if he has to use handwriting for more than a few minutes. The issue of pain isn't directly addressed in his accommodations list, but instead is addressed indirectly - he's not required to use handwriting. So for handwriting, I'd suggest limiting the type of assignment he uses handwriting for rather than total amount of time per day - that's something that's easier to implement rather than having someone actually track number of minutes spent handwriting. For headache due to eyestrain, I'd request an accommodation that rather than limiting time specifically states "will be allowed to take a break when eye strain" etc. Also think through the specifics of what helps your dd when she has eye strain and request those - the school may or may not be specific re exactly what type of thing to do at those times, but it helps to have them in the conversation and have the teacher say "ok" to them. My dd for instance, keeps a water bottle at her desk. When her eyes start bothering her, it helps her to drink water through a straw. It also helps her to look up and away and then back near again, things like that. DD doesn't have a 504 plan, these are things she's always had teachers be more than willing to let her do.

polarbear