blackcat, whether or not you're encountering a school psych who is clueless or a school psych that is purposely sabotaging your attempt to get a 504, I'd recommend a small amount of research and changing approach tactics at this point, fwiw. I'd also try to keep in mind - there are most likely other kids at your dd's school who have ADHD and 504 plans in place.

First thing to do, try to find a list of typical accommodations on either your school district or state's department of ed SPED website - the reason you want to find this list is to find out what it typical simply because chances are good if you request an accommodation off this list the school will be much less likely to argue against it. This can be especially helpful with things like how to specifically word a request - for instance:

Originally Posted by blackcat
(for instance no timed tests that "count" towards grades or class placements)

The typical accommodation in our district is "extended time on classroom and standardized tests." Some school districts might quantify "time and a half" etc.
There would be no note of "counting" toward class placements and grades, it would be an accommodation for all testing.

Where there is no specific example of an accommodation, think through how you'd word your own suggestion:

I thought I could just say I want DD's workload cut if she is having problems with speed and that could go on the 504. If it cannot, then what is the teacher going to do?

I am not sure what is the best way to phrase the reduced workload option - one way to word this might be to say "allow dd to choose to do every other problem when she understands the concept" or "allow dd extended time of one day to turn in assignments" etc. You can also build in (I think) a note that dd specifically should not be held in from recess to complete classwork.

The next thing I'd do is to call your district admin office and ask what the policy is for requesting a 504 plan for your dd. If you can find a designated 504 supervisor at the district level, call them. If you can't, call the head of SPED. Chances are the policy is to make a request at your school - so put a request in writing in an email, make it brief but state that your dd has an ADHD diagnosis, and then send that policy to whoever you were told to contact, and cc it to the person you talked to at the district office as well as your school principal. Leave the school psych out of this request unless you're told she's the person you are supposed to send it to.

The school psych will most likely be included in a 504 meeting but that doesn't necessarily mean she's the gatekeeper for your school or the program administrator for your school - and that's who you need to be going through to get the process started. And as others have mentioned, getting a 504 for typical ADHD accommodations really shouldn't be difficult. We've had the same experience you're having though with school psychs though - so I'm not entirely surprised.

Instead, she just grunted and stared at me so I feel it's necessary to go through the official process.

Going through the official process is a good idea whether or not this teacher suddenly turned into a graciously accommodating angel smile Chances are if your dd is needing extended time occasionally now she will continue to need it and at some point you'll want it for standardized testing, and it's easier to get that accommodation in place if you have a record of having accommodated previously in the classroom.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - HK's advice is *excellent* smile

Last edited by polarbear; 10/19/13 09:34 AM.