Hi mnsell, thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds like school was a rough ride for your son. High school is so hard anyway with so much drama and pressure to fit in, that any difference is terribly magnified during those years. I hope he finds his way at college. In many ways its such a better environment than high school.

Its been a long, crazy busy day, so I'm trying to sort out the thoughts to take away from your post...please forgive my denseness. Was your son trying to achieve in those earlier years, or did he always do well without trying because he was so gifted? Do you think things would have been better or made worse with an early grade skip? The huge difference in kids' abilities in the early years makes me wonder if early is better than later. Looking back, is there anything you would do differently or suggest I do?

If you don't mind my asking, is he in the 99th percentile, or the "top of the" 99th percentile? I only ask because my DD is in the 99th, but not the "top of the" 99th, so I am wondering whether it would differ for her? There's such a large difference between the two parts of the same percentile...my DD is gifted, but not PG.

I agree its not great socially to be so far ahead. She's such an avid reader though, that I can't see her slowing down much. She is capable in math, but has less interest so she is not as far ahead in that. We're doing a lot of science (which she loves) and starting history because they are both subjects that aren't covered for a while in school so they won't make her as ahead. My biggest worry is the sheer boredom of sitting around 'learning' things she already knows for long periods of time. I don't want her to lose her spark.

We aren't really an achievement oriented family as much as a 'big picture' family...what does she need to maintain her love of learning and end up in a 'happy place' after graduating (doing something she finds fulfilling and makes her happy). She has always been different than her peers though, and a bit socially challenged. You should see her in her playgroup...square peg, round hole comes to mind. She has improved a ton over the last few years of intensive socialization we've done with her, and I'm feeling fairly at peace with it. I'd be happy to keep her in her normal grade if I can find a way to keep it interesting for her.