I hope your son's anxiety gets better. I know from my own personal experience that it is difficult to learn while dealing with anxiety. It would have been harder for my son to afterschool because of his fatigue issues and sensory issues. He needed to be allowed to learn at his level and take breaks when he needed them and even then he would have been worn out by the end of the day. I think my son would very likely have suffered from anxiety trying to deal with his issues and this would have made him even more tired.

Although our principal and some teachers told us we needed to homeschool after Kindergarten, I felt a lot of disapproval from other teachers when they heard I would be homeschooling. I didn't have a lot of confidence that I could homeschool at the time. I remember one teacher telling me "I hope you are going to teach him phonics" and I worried that I was going to do something wrong even though he was already reading at a 5th grade level in Kindergarten. I could see the disapproval in the eyes of an experienced homeschool mom when I told her I was just going to let him keep reading from the science encyclopedia that he loved to read from instead of buying a reading textbook.

I didn't have a lot of money to buy homeschool materials so I let him do a lot of online learning. For some reason I had all these people wanting to give me advice, and they all let me know they didn't approve of him being on the computer so much.

I had to learn to quit worrying about what other people thought and let my son learn in the way he learned best including letting him type instead of doing a lot of writing and worksheets.