Can HSers out their describe how they spend their day...Where do you get the curriculum materials? How much $$ do you spend? How much do you let your child's interest drive the curriculum? Do you use tutors? Honestly, do you feel overwhelmed? Does your spouse support you

I was having some of the same problems when we took DS out of school. I felt like I lost my happy boy, and he was having migraines at school every other day. He has been out for almost 2 years now, and not a migraine since. And my happy boy is back. Not saying that every school day goes perfect, but we are both much happier.

Our school day takes about 3 hours. We take breaks between each subject.

There is a ton, and I mean a ton of different HS curriculum. You could spend weeks on the net looking at it all. Most veteran HSers recommend that newbies start out slow, and not buy a lot at 1st. homeschoolreviews.com is a good place to start. I would be happy to recommend the things that have worked for us.

I spend about $500 per year on curriculum, but you can HS for free just using the library and a ton of free internet resources. And some people spend tons of $$$ on virtual academies.

I try to follow my kids interests as much as possible. We did a unit study on auto racing because that's a passion of his. He is most advanced in math, so we spend a good bit of time on that. Writing is not his strong suit, so we take that slow so he doesn't get frustrated. But he's the type of kid that needs almost no repetition of new material. He learns it the 1st time, and feels insulted if he's forced to review over and over. That was a major aggravation in public school.

I don't use any outside tutors except for piano. But there are HS co-ops in almost every city and state.

I don't feel overwhelmed at all. It has been a joy and blessing for our family. My son and I have a wonderful close relationship, and I think a lot of that if from HSing.

DH was not as thrilled at 1st about HSing as I was. I had to really convince him. I told him to give me 1 year, and then if it didn't go well we would put DS back in school. Well, after about 1 month, he was completely on board. He now tells people all the time how great HSing can be.