Yes I use the "what Your Nth Grader needs to know" as a general guideline. And if I need a quick read-to for my Ker, it's a great book to pick up and go.

I would concur w/ someone above about just picking a few things you want to do everyday and start there. My point about the Charlotte Mason philosophy is you can plan to get the core done in the AM (those two things you want to do everyday) and have the afternoons free to pursue all the other stuff where the learning really happens! HSing is much more efficient than PS so you can be done in just a couple of hours w/ an efficient kid (which I don't have lol he's a dawdler).

One thing I think most HSers would recommend is some decompression time. There is even a formula...something like a month for every year in school or every week or something. However, for HG+ kids who have been craving challenge, they may want to jump right in or may just need some decompression time to pursue his own interest. So I wouldn't go out and buy a lot of stuff until you find out what he wants to learn and do. Perhaps he has a passion for computer programming wants to spend a month pursuing that.

I too like Lisa Rivero's book on HSing gifted kids.