Went to "curriculum night" at the school and they mentioned the "good fit books" and/or "just right reading level" and luckily I was sitting in the back because I couldn't help rolling my eyes. Like I said, they assess using F&P and have the letter system, but I can't complain too much because last year (in second grade) they put DS at something like "V". DS still says the books are "baby books" but at least it's not outrageously off. And for independent reading time they let him read his books that he brings from home (and they don't care what they are). DD is more the one I'm worried about because it seems like they may be keeping her at the same level without giving her the proper higher level assessment. Maybe it depends on the teaching team. And I'm sure it also depends on the district philosophy which is why things are more outrageous elsewhere and other schools like the OPs are much more rigid. Anyway, they did mention something about how the kid should not be missing more than 5 words per page if they read aloud, because then the book will be too frustrating and comprehension will go down as well. And they said there is tons of "research" stating that kids make more progress if they are at this "just right level"