Originally Posted by blackcat
Irena--I think it depends on the school/teacher/culture, etc. but I've had more success with gifted advocacy by stating "My child wants..."

I have found it to be the complete opposite here. Progress and growth is mandated here, so schools need to show it and it really motivates them. Also, law motivates them. My friend in another district has a son with pretty severe adhd but an IQ of 148. They would not give him a gifted IEP or let him in the ATP program. No amount of "my child is anxious/sad/..." whatever made a darn bit of difference. I was appalled. She had no idea they were not allowed to prevent him from being the gifted program or refuse to give him a gifted IEP due to his adhd. One letter stating this was all it took. They changed their tune. They knew what they were doing was wrong but because the mother did not know it (and assumed they could do what they were doing), they did it anyway and no amount of "my gifted child wants..." would make a darn bit of difference.

My point is to the original poster, find out. It is worth it to find out. Chances are the school needs to measure growth and progress and there you go.

Last edited by Irena; 09/22/15 12:57 PM.