Originally Posted by Cookie
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Originally Posted by Cookie
Kids will tell you when they are over their heads either verbally if they are comfortable with it or by their behavior. Just like they will say when stuff is too easy and boring and they want more of a challenge. But there was no harm in his group trying. They were exposed to it. They may try it later and like it. They know a bit about more than the first three chapters because my son enthusiastically would talk about the book.
While I'm glad to hear that this group of kids was able to tell the teachers when the reading was over their heads. This is not a blanket statement that works for all kids. My older DD would not tell us when she didn't understand things or books were over her head. It was very frustrating and difficult to work with. Kids have different personalities. Some kids can be very good at hiding LD's for example.

Maybe not a blanket statement but 5th graders, low SES, many ESOL, bright, but not profoundly gifted kids, with no LD's... given a 10th grade classic literature book are going to say...this sucks, is boring and is too hard (if in fact it does suck for them, is too hard and therefore they aren't getting any enjoyment). Especially if the learning climate is a safe environment for them to feel like they can share their thoughts and feelings without shame or repercussions.

Like a second grader who has a parent who wants him to read Narnia (or listen to Narnia) before he is ready. Or a third grader who is reading War and Peace in Russian because Johnny is reading it and parents want him to keep up with Johnny.

They might not say anything but change behavior, in fact my son just kept rolling over and going to sleep each night during Narnia...I gave up after I correctly listened to his change in behavior. A behavior he never willingly did when there was a story to listen to.
You seems to be very lucky and have a great teachers. Unfortunately not all teachers have the training, skill or time to recognize the tells some kids give. I did exactly what you did with the Narnia when trying to find challenging but interesting books for my kids in elementary school. It can be tricky finding challenging but interesting books for advanced readers. As to no LD's.. how do you know? 2E kids can be very good at hiding their LD's until they get to older grades.

As for 5th graders saying a book sucks may be because of other issues than a book is too hard for them. It might just be subject matter or the book while a classic might still be a boring slow read. I still remember when my 5th grade reading teacher had us read Don Quixote. (Looked it up lexile level 1410L) I still remember hating that book. It's not that I couldn't read books at that level but as a 5th grader I wasn't at all interested in an old crazy guy bumbling around medieval Spain and wasn't mature enough to appreciate it's humor.