We also are stuck with Fountas and Pinnell, and I guess that's why we have had similar "lines". In the middle of third grade, someone assessed DD as a "U" or V". Then the next year she transferred schools and I mentioned what her level was in third grade (which by then was about a year earlier), and the teacher gave her the "U" or "V" assessment AGAIN and put her AGAIN at that level. She mentioned how impressed she was by her reading ability. I asked if she gave her a higher level assessment, and she said "no". Ummmm, ok? So now DD is in 5th grade, and guess what level is her "just right book"? A level U! The same as 1.5 years ago. At conferernces I intend to address the "lack of progress" and I'm sure I'll get the line "Oh, she's doing great, she's at grade level, you don't need to worry about her reading level" But at a certain point, this becomes ridiculous. DD said there is a girl in her class who is reading a level "X" (with some awe in her voice, like why does THAT girl get to read so high), when it's quite possible DD would actually also get to read that high if someone would actually give her the X assessment!