Originally Posted by Irena
Originally Posted by blackcat
I can't speak for other states, but here I don't think they care about progress as long as a child is meeting the grade level standards (and even that they don't seem to necessarily care about, as evidenced by the fact that they refused to write DD an IEP even though she's about 2 grade levels below for writing). Their logic is that she's not failing (according to standardized testing and letter grades), therefore nothing needs to be done. If in say, 3 years, there is no progress, at that point she would be in the lower percentiles and would be "failing". They are totally unconcerned with any child who is meeting the standards, esp. a child above the standards. I'm actually surprised that you got your way with the school, considering my own experience.

Well, it is in the case law (that children need to make progress)... So, there's that.

My friends who were too uncomfortable with advocating, who did it they way you suggest? Got nowhere and child was punished with recess being taken away. They also resorted to lying on the reading logs which did not seem to help matters.

Ever since then for us? No problems, whatsoever. That was two years ago.

ETA : Also, you say "here I don't think they care about progress as long as a child is meeting the grade level standards" Thing is, people make the same assumption here, too. And it is a wrong assumption. Schools know it, are banking on it and have no obligation to inform them otherwise. Unless, a parent tries and/or looks into it, one does not know.

I think that the need to demonstrate progress is at the heart of the problem. Miss rebel teacher explained that to me last year. She was willing to allow my daughter to read at a high level, but she wasn't willing to go against district policy and document what level she was at. She said she would not only get in trouble with the administration, but also with her fellow teachers. If a kid comes into a grade with a documented reading level that is very high, then the teacher needs to demonstrate progress ahead of that very high level. By keeping the kids reading levels scored artificially low, it makes it easier to "demonstrate progress".