I would try having a meeting. Advocate. Often times a school does nothing until you meet with them ... They want to make it uncomfortable and hard for a parent so that you'll give up and defer, but when you push you'd be surprised how much of a difference you can make. They also want to discourage other parents.

First, make sure of your child's level with testing. I forced the school to do this by stating it was a "concern" that my child was "not progressing" (my child was progressing but when they refuse to test the child they can not prove it so they had to test him even though he had hit the ceiling of the grade on the first day). Once the test results were in, I called a meeting. There was pushback at the meeting (mostly from the teacher who seemed to really resent my son's reading level for some odd reason). I told them I would donate books, I brought said books to meeting. There was still push back but ultimately I won. It does not make any sense to force a kid on a certain level to read two or three or four levels below that level regardless of what grade they are in. They know it, you know it, a school board would know it. It's completely stupid. The donated books were for the excuse that they do not have two grade level up books in the classroom ... Well, now you do! Or perhaps DS could go for reading to the class on the grade level he is on (no one liked that idea - too many scheduling problems). Just talk to them (have a meeting, put things in writing), they probably aren't as scary you think they are. Yes it is annoying and a bit unpleasant but it is doable definitely.

Last edited by Irena; 09/22/15 11:54 AM.