I would just not do the reading, but say that she is doing it and that she is doing it for 30 min. Unless you are worried about the bad message that this is sending the child. In third grade, DD could read what she wanted, but she she was supposed to record the book read, pages read every single day, whether she read aloud or to herself, etc. It took all the fun out of reading. We just simply failed to turn in these reading logs after a while. DD would have failed to turn them in anyway without my intervention, so I just simply failed to intervene. I didn't make sure she did the logs. Too bad! Of course it went onto her report card that she has a bunch of missing assignments, but who cares...she was a third grader.

DS is now in third grade and he just read an entire Percy Jackson book at school today. He would throw a hissy fit if the teacher told him it's too advanced and he has to read the cat in the hat. I mean, the whole thing just sounds absurd. I am expecting that his reading achievement test scores will rise, because even if they are not exactly teaching him at the correct level, he is reading for vocabulary.