Originally Posted by blackcat
One tip for advocating--it helps to phrase things in terms of "the child's concerns" rather than your concerns. So, if you state that your child is losing her interest in reading, is complaining about the books, is complaining about school, etc (even if it isn't exactly true), I think you'll get farther than if you state that YOU are concerned about levels, progress, etc. They can't accuse you of being a pushy hothousing parent if it is the child who is unhappy.

Yes, but a child not progressing is a serious concern. A child not happy with book selection? Not always considered much of an issue by schools. I suppose that this may differ by state and state regulations, but, in our state, a child *needs* to make adequate progress (and that, by law, is regardless of where the child starts - so if I child starts at a grade above they still have to make appropriate progress... the school is not allowed to permit the child to stay at the same level); if they do not, that is not only a legitimate "parental concern," it is legally a school's concern. It has legal implications when you put in writing that you are concerned about your child not making progress adequately. When I phrase things like, 'child is losing love for reading at our school... child is sad, etc.,' the school responded basically that child was just being manipulative and wanting his own way (yes it was stated more tactfully but it was the fundamental response and "concern" was dismissed). No such response when I said "child has been held at same reading level for x number of months - why? Is there a potential reading problem/disability? a child should make x amount of progress (schools understand these terms that is hwo they operate) and my child appears not be. School, you have an obligation to find out why." The school immediately and I mean *immediately* that morning pulled him right out and started testing him.

Last edited by Irena; 09/22/15 12:22 PM.