Originally Posted by mom123
I just wonder if I should say that the 5 minutes of reading they are sending home is taking her 30 minutes, so that they don't send more- or if I should just write that it is taking her 5 minutes.

If I were you, I would write that your child is taking 30 minutes to read the books that they send home. I would not ask her to read them at all but give her a free choice of what she wants to read at home. I would also apologize to my child for having to lie to the teacher and explain why I was doing that. The reason that I am suggesting this is because my 6 year old was with a teacher who had a petty mind. She was prone to punishing and being harsh with my DS for not "complying" with this kind of thing. It was sneakily done - DS says that the words she used were never wrong, but the "tone of voice" she used to talk to him made him uneasy. I am sure that most teachers are not so small minded as to take it out on a young child, but the child spends most of their day in the care of these teachers and if you are not planning to change schools, it is good to pretend to be compliant to make your child's life smooth.