Originally Posted by cammom
It seems very odd that a teacher would think that your son doesn't care. I doubt there are many children out there who don't care about rules, approval, and ramifications. There are plenty who cannot meet expectations due to what Ross Greene calls "lagging skills." I know my son gets in trouble for verbal impulsivity, but he certainly cares and is sad when he gets into trouble. My son is also 2e (ADHD) and often "anticipates" the next move without enough information. It's impulsivity combined with an active mind. It takes executive function to hold back even when you think you know what is happening next. Your son's art work is impressive.
DS came home and cried for hours after the public flogging re: his grade and impending "removal from the program" a) of which he had no clue and b) over which the teacher in question actually has no authority--and since my son is pretty stoic and uncommunicative, is pretty good evidence that he cares...all of which I related to teacher.

I'm a firm believer ALL children want to do well--in particular, the students in this program are selected because of cognitive testing, achievement testing, and teacher recommendations. Not exactly the profile of children who don't "care." My son's identity is (probably too) founded in thinking of himself as a successful student. smirk

Originally Posted by indigo
I appreciate your kiddo's art project... a very fun and thought-provoking piece! The perspective is excellent, highly complex, intricate, and detailed.

As for the teacher's complaint that your son worked ahead... Some may say that art is about more than following formulaic steps... it is about exploring, experimenting, developing one's "eye" and sense of style, proportion, symmetry, asymmetric balance... and as one develops their eye, adjusting & erasing are a normal part of the process... a positive sign of one's ability to critique their own work, to have an internal conversation which allows them to self-correct.

If erasure marks show, possibly your son might benefit from having a better eraser, such as artgum, rubber, or kneaded eraser, and possibly better paper as well. Whether in art or another endeavor, people may often find their growth limited by the materials at hand; They may experience great growth and also satisfaction with their efforts when the materials are upgraded. There a number of discount art supply stores online, including Dick Blick and Jerry's Art-a-rama.

IMO, art class is a place where there ought to be talking privileges, especially as students refine their work, and may seek casual feedback and share compliments. As art is an expressive skill, studio time may be thought of as an expressive time.

Please consider helping your son develop a "portfolio" of his works, including this piece.

Unfortunately, some teachers do retaliate with "designer grades", calculated to just miss a grade cutoff (or conversely, design a grade to boost a student .01 above a cutoff). Given the circumstances, you may wish to consider whether there is an appeals process for grading.
I agree with everything you've said here. FWIW, DS says the teacher gave him the booklet with instructions and did NOT tell him not to work ahead--until he already had. He may have missed something, though, verbal, multi-step instructions are not his strong-suit. He is NOT known for lying. In fact, if he could become just a little better at the "white lie" he would probably fare much better, socially.

Originally Posted by Marnie
i love your DS's picture - the dimensions and perspective are wonderful. as for the teacher...i am getting mad just thinking about it. i'm glad you are taking steps to appeal the grade. What worries me even more than that is the callous and hurtful attitude he seems to have for one of his students. That kind of damage is far more lasting.
I can't quit getting mad about it! With teachers like this--who wouldn't decide they were "the worst kid in school" (my son said this) and decide it's safer to NOT care.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
I Some people are just mean and petty, I have decided.

Yeah, this is pretty much my conclusion. Normally, I wouldn't share my thoughts in regards to things like this *with* my son but in this case (and largely bc teacher in question is retiring), I have said: You know what, DS, we aren't giving this guy one more minute of our valuable time and emotional energy. Some people are just jerks.

(I do not recommend that approach overall but sometimes you call a spade a spade.)