Originally Posted by DeeDee
My best shot at staying positive about this is: they don't understand. It's a teaching job: if this is going to work, they are going to need to be helped to understand.
I went into this year with this framework and was met with either a refusal or inability to understand...in terms of my trying to "explain" my son. I didn't have the proper language. I did, however, do my very darn best to keep it calm, positive, and informative. If anything, I guess I was "too nice" and "too empathic." I told my SPED friend I was trying to be collegial and she pointed out: "you are not their colleague, you are DS' parent." So will stay 100% in that role going forward.

I think what they will have to be "helped to understand" next year is that the 504 (or, I hope, IEP) is not just a list of Hints from Heloise. I don't know if it's allowed to banish certain types of language from our communication but I'm going to try. I'm working on a word doc/rubric w v. specific behaviors so teachers can just check boxes.

And if all else fails, I have every intention of sic'ing the kids' father on the district. He's not an involved parent but has joint legal custody and is not conflict-avoidant (understatement). I am NOT good in conflict and have probably been too namby-pamby about the whole process.

The things you do for love... :P

I just noticed that my DD's GAI scores were 144 VCI and 110 PRI (DS is much more even). So now I'm fearing *she* will struggle academically next year in this program (she is much more socially savvy, but is young for grade). AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

I think it's time for me to begin my triathlon training. smile I really just want to make art and music with my kids and sing Kumbayah around a campfire. But *me* isn't working too well in this situation, so evolve I will.

Last edited by eco21268; 05/23/15 05:42 PM.