Originally Posted by Pemberley
One thing to keep in mind Eco is that most 2E parents on this board have reported at some point that their kids have been called "lazy", "unmotivated", "distracted", "disrespectful", "manipulative", etc. Many have been kept out of gifted programming or threatened with removal as a direct result of their disabilities...
If people don't believe your DS's situation is real or you are just asking for special treatment and your school district hasn't properly trained its staff in IDEA, FAPE and other special Ed law you are going to experience this sort of response when teachers or other staff are required to treat him differently. Sad but unfortunately true for too many 2E kids.
I think I'm just shell-shocked, at this point. DS attended the same school for K-5 and while he did get in a bit of "trouble" here and there, the school was accepting and affirming and the "trouble" was fairly minor, and grades were good. He always felt pretty good about himself.

Originally Posted by puffin
I knew he would set my kid up to fail because he was that kind of guy.
Yikes, yikes, yikes! I have been naively operating under the assumption that teachers want to help kids succeed!