Still waiting for NP to report--but school is over for the year so there is some relief.

I can't decide if I've become the world's most paranoid mother or if there is, in fact, some kind of strange dynamic with a couple of my son's teachers. In particular, I've noticed there is a definite trend toward "marking down" on subjective areas when he is graded on assignments.

There are several examples, but I'll share one, here. After the debacle with the mean art teacher--who *finally* allowed my son to move his seat next to his so he could focus on his work...DS finished his projects early and enjoyed them.

On this project:

photo 11270549_10204487347647542_2393232594199361216_o.jpg

Teacher deducted 30 (out of 200) points for "neatness." There were other deductions, as well, but that was the most striking.

DS ended up with a 79.86% in that class. No big deal--except that is the only grade that goes on his HS transcript.

I think the teacher was power-tripping (probably against ME, bc I complained to the principal about earlier assignments that he allowed DS to turn in late, but then gave practically no credit).

This is mostly just a whine. I don't understand why a professional wouldn't want to err on the side of caution (mercy?) instead of being punitive, with a child who is clearly having disability-related challenges.

Any commiseration? What does one do?