Originally Posted by DeeDee
Yep, some people are petty and mean.

I'll add that some people are so unnerved by difference of any kind that their only recourse is bullying. They may perceive themselves as "nice" and see the child as odd, deliberately nonconformist, or anything in Pemb's list-- which in their twisted minds may justify their cruelty.

What your DS will learn from this is to know cruelty when he sees it. I'm so sorry this has happened...
Interestingly, this teacher is quite "popular" with most students. DS is astute enough to recognize that. I think it's made it worse for him.

Yes: now he knows what cruelty looks like. I suppose that could be a lesson, as well.

There was another teacher who did something similar at the very last moment--but it wasn't as blatant, nor emotional (and I've documented it--504 violation).

At any rate, I feel like I have a whole lot more information to take to next meeting--whether that is 504 or IEP. And I found a list of IEP modifications/accommodations on our state's Special Education page, disproving the local lore one can't have both IEP and accommodations.

*My* desire is really to pull son from program. He says it is the "best thing that ever happened to him." (um, not sure how to feel about *that*) Since he's been accelerated, it would be difficult to put him back into regular curriculum...so I'm leaning toward giving it another go, but with a much more comprehensive understanding of how things work.

On a lighter (but not light) note: the "worrisome" teacher (known bully) I knew he'd have next year has opted for "early retirement" because she accidentally sent a nasty email about a 2E kid AND his parents...to the entire 7th grade PARENT LIST. Teachers union called in for termination talk; she gracefully bowed out.

This place could truly be a reality show...we do not live in the most progressive part of the USA...ahem.

And as a P.S., I figured out that the program is not a match for its selection process. Students in our district are selected for gifted purely based on GAI (although it's fairy high--I think 134). That works well in the elementary program, which is divergent, creative, non-graded. But the MS program only takes the "top 40" of all these GAI-only students...and then accelerates them in all core subjects...adding more HS classes each year, on an IB track.

(My son would not likely be in the top 40 FSIQ--30+ point discrepancy between GAI and PSI, last test).

Blah blah blah blah blah.

P.S. I have about decided that for my third master's degree :P I'm going to do Special Ed or Psych Examiner. smile

Last edited by eco21268; 05/23/15 04:06 PM.