I talked to the counselor at the assigned school--she is an acquaintance of mine and has a very open/warm personality. I was trying to give her the short version of the back story and she was pretty validating that things aren't kosher over there.

She agrees that it is tricky to know how to schedule DS, if he attends her school next year. She suggested a partial day home/virtual school (geometry, not offered at MS), and enroll DS for one core (probably English) followed by Jazz Band and another 8th grade elective. This way he could be at b & m school in the afternoon, have friends, and some structure. He knows many kids at that school because he went to elementary with them.

She said she didn't know if it would be any easier to get an IEP there, since his IQ and performance aren't uneven. At any rate, she said it is a lengthy process. Of course, we could keep his 504 in place and maybe tweak it a little?

She thinks the program he's in is probably unhappy with me for "calling them out," that they probably really don't want 2E kids there, but can't say that.

DS didn't go to school today, primarily because it sounds to me like he is in more danger of his grade dropping (in that one class) by attending, than by staying put. Also, he wouldn't get up. Yee haw.

He has finals next week and that is it. 2.5 days. He is caught up in his classes and his grades are pretty good, as long as he doesn't go to school and have points docked for behavior.

I'm pretty exhausted. I know for sure I can't continue spending my entire life worrying about how DS is performing/behaving/being treated at school.

I think we have several better options for next year. Running away and living as hermits in the woods is one of them. :P