Originally Posted by blackcat
The grading policy at the middle school here is that grades are based on the actual learning, not behavior. The more I hear about your school the more toxic it sounds. Did you decide if he will be going back there?

If a disability affects educational performance (which it does, if they are grading based on behavioral factors), then the student should qualify for accommodations/modifications. Do they think the behavior issues are unrelated to the disability, or they would just be like this with any disabled student? Honestly, though, I don't think you are ever going to get through to them. If it were just the teachers, then you could maybe get somewhere, but it's also the support staff and admin.
I don't want him to go back next year. Next year is supposed to be so much better, though, the kids only have one "gifted" class and that teacher is exceptional and experienced.

I'm reporting/documenting mostly because I really think he needs an IEP or at the least a BIP and haven't been able to convince anyone of this yet.

The other day, when I was actually on this board, reading...a special education attorney showed up at my front door. He is running for local office; it was just a fluke. I don't really believe in signs from God or omens or anything else like that--but pretty strange, huh? This guy and his wife are both SPED lawyers and have a bunch of kids with disabilities, including a son with Asperger's who is very bright, and is evidently very happy and successful at his school. Incidentally, his school is our "assigned" school but is not a gifted program.