Originally Posted by eco21268
He's 12. And didn't show me this project (found in backpack) bc he was ashamed of it. Ugh.

I have an (admittedly, paranoid) visual of the art teacher tallying points so he could make sure DS "just missed" a B on the report card.

Here is an excerpt of an email I received from Mr. Art Teacher, after I had conferenced with him and explained DS was having med issues, struggling, and begged him (again) to move him near teacher's desk:

"Ever since [DS] has moved up by me, his current project is done on time but he is trying to out think the next step before it is explained and going a head, (even tho I asked him not to) and trying to do the next step and making some mistakes he has to erase and go back and fix but he is on time with his work. His mouth still insists on talking constantly. Even though the class does NOT have talking privileges, he never can close it. He talks to my A+ tutor, he talks to teachers who come in, he talks to people walking by, I ask him to stop talking because no one else is allowed and he talks to anyone and everyone. I explain he is losing participation points, points he really can't afford to flush because his grade is low, and he still continues to talk. In my opinion, i think he just doesn't care at this moment in the game and [DS] will do what [DS] wants to do and doesn't give a hoot about the ramifications. His current grade with the Color Wheel is a D+ 69%, and that is only because of the tissue extra credit entered recently. If he could control his talking, he would have likely be in the C minus range but when I ask him multiple time not to talk and he just continues on & on & on & on like he never heard me, I have to deduct points."

I had asked several times for him to just MOVE my son (bc talking to friends was the complaint) and to bear with us while we waited to get in with psychiatrist and neuropsychological evaluation was forthcoming.

The teacher was retiring this year and burning sick time so there was a sub in the room 2 out of 3 classes for the entire second semester.

My hunch? He was pi$$ed off that when he moved my son, and we got med change, and things leveled out...DS performed and behaved better. So that meant HE (teacher) was incorrect in his assumption that DS was deliberately misbehaving and that *I* (as his parent) might have a better understanding of the situation than the teacher did.

It sickens me that adults could be so childish.

It seems very odd that a teacher would think that your son doesn't care. I doubt there are many children out there who don't care about rules, approval, and ramifications. There are plenty who cannot meet expectations due to what Ross Greene calls "lagging skills." I know my son gets in trouble for verbal impulsivity, but he certainly cares and is sad when he gets into trouble. My son is also 2e (ADHD) and often "anticipates" the next move without enough information. It's impulsivity combined with an active mind. It takes executive function to hold back even when you think you know what is happening next. Your son's art work is impressive.