Little girls don't universally have an innate drive to imagine themselves as princesses-

Sure. I agree. I also agree that the princess shtick is a big fat lot of marketing crap (though as to it playing to mothers' narcissism...I wouldn't go that far...I know plenty of non-narcissistic moms whose daughters have loved princesses). Why do you think my daughter had never seen a Disney movie at age 5? That was no accident, I can assure you. Anyway, I wanted my socially rather delayed child to have an "in" to daily pretend play that was excluding her. I think most parents would. Yes, I could have advised her to change the narrative, and btw, I did encourage her to play with the one other child who was not really into this, but that child only came two days a week mornings and my child was there 5 days/week FT.

I think it sends a positive message to children about their self-worth to support them in pursuing non-mainstream interests when the norm is irrelevant or uninteresting to them.

No argument here. I've always supported my kids' non-mainstream interests, believe you me, and it's funny to find myself on this side of the argument!

But I've gotten more careful about unilaterally placing pop culture on the We Do Not side of the equation. As has been pointed out, forbidden fruit is sweet, and also, children taste it anyway.

aquinas, gently, am I right in thinking your child is still very young and not negotiating a lot of social situations without you yet? I had a lot more lines in the sand when my oldest was your child's age. Again, I certainly agree with the precept that one should not force a child to get on board with anything they dislike! My DD dislikes current pop music and I am totally fine with that.