Originally Posted by ultramarina
I mean, we don't ever listen to commercial radio here, because we hate it, but DD is free to listen to it on her MP3 player (it has a radio) if she wants to. You don't want to be that parent who forbids The Popular Music, IMO. We have music on a lot of the time and the kids have developed interests and preferences, DD in particular. Her very cool music teacher says she has the best taste of any her students. (excuse me while I kvell)

Anyway, what I was going to say is that music is kind of a non-issue at this age but you might want to make sure she's seen Frozen, etc and the standard popular movies. It might be good to have some vague familiarity with popular iPad games, too. I mean, if this kind of thing concerns you. We try to make sure the kids know about some of this stuff so they're not just totally off in our own personal family nerdworld at all times. Of course, we still don't have cable.

The only music we listen to is the local listener supported classical radio station. At school, DS has classical music played in the background every day while the class does seat work. I used to listen to all kinds of music, but switched primarily to classical music when DS was 4 (that was 3 years ago). He is so used to it that sometimes he asks me to change from NPR back to the classical radio station.

Strangely enough, music has zero social currency value for DS - his social circle is a group of 25 boys of his age group and 7 girls - all from diverse backgrounds - they play a lot - mostly games like 4 squares, volleyball, tag, basketball, bike riding etc. They also still like to play in the sand a lot. They are into active and physical play. And in the times that they talk, the topics always tend toward Starwars, Legos etc. I think that because most of the kids DS plays with are into very active physical play, they do not chat about music, "cool factors" etc. and social currency does not come into play in the dynamics. DS is a misfit due to other things - like his language proficiency that makes him stand out, his life experiences etc. - but not because of lack of exposure to popular music or popular TV shows.